Thursday, March 13, 2014

Everyday Thoughts from the Writing Center: Challenging Myself



Working in the Writing Center was all at once a wonderful and terrifying experience. I was excited to have the opportunity to help and afraid that I wasn't going to be able to do so adequately. However, soon after being my job, I discovered I knew a lot more than I really thought I did. I also discovered that I had a lot to learn.

This past semester at the Writing Center I learned quite a few things. However, one of the most important pieces of information that I learned was how to correctly format a paper in the APA writing style. APA was something I had never learned very well, just briefly, because it is not commonly used in my English and Humanities classes. So, when I was asked by a student for help on it at the beginning of the semester, I had to learn rather quickly. I was worried that I would not be able to help the student to the best of my ability, but I assured him that I would try and that we would learn together. It was not difficult for us to find helpful information on this writing style because both the Purdue Owl website and The Everyday Writer have good resources regarding it.

Also, learning APA became helpful for me whenever I had to use it in my Intro to Psychology class later on that semester. While it was difficult at the beginning, and I will admit that it is not the writing style I am best at, learning it became helpful because I would have struggled so much more in Intro to Psychology if this student had not requested help on it. Not only is it helpful in the classroom setting but also at work. Now when people ask these questions, I am ready and able to help them in such a way that I was not before.

The moral here is we all know a lot more than we think we do, but we also all have a lot to learn. Don't doubt yourself. Be open to learning new things. Have a great spring break!

-Aubrey

No comments:

Post a Comment